Terms of Service
THE FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE WEBSITE, CONTENT, AND COURSES ARE FOR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PSYCHOLOGICAL DIAGNOSIS, THERAPY, OR COUNSELING. YOU SHOULD NOT CHANGE ANY TREATMENT, MEDICATION, THERAPY, OR PLAN OF CARE PRESCRIBED BY YOUR CHILD'S OR YOUR PHYSICIAN OR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL BASED UPON INFORMATION YOU RECEIVED THROUGH OUR SERVICES. IF YOU BELIEVE YOU OR YOUR CHILD ARE CONFRONTED WITH ANY HEALTH, PSYCHOLOGICAL, OR MEDICAL CONDITION, YOU SHOULD PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR CHILD'S OR YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER HEALTHCARE PROVIDER.
THE WEBSITE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY PROMISES OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
PLEASE READ THE BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER PROVISIONS IN THE DISPUTE RESOLUTION SECTION OF THESE TERMS. IT AFFECTS HOW DISPUTES ARE RESOLVED. BY ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT, YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING THE DISPUTE RESOLUTION, ARBITRATION PROVISIONS, AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER AND ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS. YOU MAY NOT USE OR ACCESS OUR PLATFORM IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
1. Acceptance of Our Terms
- Foster Parent College may change this Agreement at any time by posting an updated Terms of Service on this Website. If any amendment to these Terms is unacceptable to you, you shall cease using this Website or our Services. If you continue using our Website, you will be constructively deemed to have accepted the changes.
- In addition, certain areas of the Service may be subject to additional terms and conditions that we make available for your review. By using such areas, or any part thereof, you are expressly indicating that you have read and agree to be bound by the additional terms and conditions applicable to such areas. In the event that any of the additional terms and conditions governing such area conflict with these Terms of Service, the additional terms and conditions will control.
2. Our Service
- Foster Parent College provides innovative, research-based, interactive, online courses for foster, adoptive, and kinship parents. Our self-paced training is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional information please see the following:
- How it works for parents (see getting started section of page): https://www.fosterparentcollege.com/info/parents-welcome.jsp
- Agencies that opt-in to cover the cost of parents' training gain access to a Foster Parent College agency account. Once an agency account is opened, agency staff will gain access to Foster Parent College's management system. This is where the agency will begin to register parents for their own individual training accounts. Once parents are registered, they receive a welcome email with their log in credentials. Through the management system, agency staff has the ability to manage and monitor parents training. For additional information please see the following:
- How it works for agencies (see agency payment options): https://www.fosterparentcollege.com/info/groups.jsp
- The Foster Parent College website is for educational purposes only, and should not be used in lieu of therapy or counseling. The Website is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without any promises or warranties of any kind, either express or implied.
- Any modifications and new features added to the Service are also subject to this Agreement.
- Foster Parent College reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Service or any feature or functionality thereof at any time without notice to you. All rights, title, and interest in and to the Service and its components (including all intellectual property rights) will remain with and belong exclusively to Foster Parent College.
3. Eligibility for Our Service
- By using our Services, you represent and warrant that you have attained the age of majority where you reside (18 years of age in most jurisdictions) and are otherwise capable of entering into binding contracts including this Agreement.
- If you are using our Services on behalf of a company or other organization, you represent and warrant that you have authority to act on behalf of that entity and to bind that entity to this Agreement.
4. Accounts and Registration
- To access some features of the Service, you may be required to register for an account. When you register for an account, you may be required to provide us with some information about yourself (such as your name, e-mail address, phone number, or other personal information). Some of this information may be of a confidential nature and may include personal identifying information (all "Your Information").
- If you provide Your Information to us then you agree to provide true, current, complete, and accurate information, and not to misrepresent your identity or age. You also agree to keep Your Information current and to update Your Information if any of Your Information changes.
6. Account Management
- If you have been issued an account by Foster Parent College in connection with your use of the Services, you are responsible for safeguarding your password, login/user names, and other security information and any other credentials used to access that account ("Authentication Information"), even if you authorize other parties to access your account. You, and not Foster Parent College, are responsible for any activity occurring in your account, whether or not you authorized that activity. If you become aware of any unauthorized access to your account, you should notify Foster Parent College immediately.
- Users agree to treat "Authentication Information" as confidential and to not provide any unauthorized person with access to the Website or portions of the Website using the user's Authentication Information.
- We reserve the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Service, any user account, or your access to the Service for any reason, without notice, at any time, and without liability to you.
- Foster Parent College may send notices to the email address or text messages to your mobile phone registered with your account. You must keep your email address, mobile phone number and, where applicable, your contact details and payment details associated with your account current and accurate.
- You can cancel your account at any time. Upon termination or cancellation, all licenses and other rights granted to you in these Terms will immediately cease.
- We reserve the right to refuse to issue an account to anyone or permit access to the Service to anyone for any reason at any time.
7. Technology RequirementsYou are solely responsible for acquiring, installing, operating, and maintaining the hardware and software environment, network connections, and telecommunication links, necessary to access and use the Services. For a list of internet browsers that are compatible with our Services please see our support page: https://www.fosterparentcollege.com/info/requirements.jsp.
8. Individual Retail Course PurchaseWhen an individual user makes a retail Course purchase, the order constitutes an offer to view the Course available on our platform. Courses are licensed to you and not sold. Foster Parent College grants the purchaser a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, license to access and view the Courses and content for which you have paid, solely for the purchaser's personal, non-commercial, educational purposes. The license does not permit you to sub-license, reproduce, redistribute, transmit, transfer, assign, sell, display, broadcast, rent, share, lend, modify, adapt, edit, or create derivative works of the Course. Furthermore, an agency is prohibited from displaying, broadcasting, or otherwise sharing a Course or its content in group meetings without first receiving written consent from Foster Parent College. We reserve the right at any time to accept or decline any order.
- All prices displayed in our Services are in U.S. dollars unless otherwise indicated.
- All applicable taxes and other charges are additional and your responsibility.
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to change prices at any time and without notice.
10. Payments and Refunds
- By providing Foster Parent College with your method of payment information you authorize us to charge you for the Course payment using the secure third party payment processor we make available to you. Our payment gateway partners use secure servers with state-of-the-art encryption and secure sockets layer (SSL) technology for the transfer of credit card information. Additionally, we have security measures in place to protect our customer database and access to this database is restricted internally.
- You agree that we may charge you, and you will pay to Foster Parent College, any fee or penalty that is assessed or charged to us for a "Chargeback" resulting from a failure or refusal of your selected method of payment to make a required payment. This payment shall be refunded to you in the event that your selected method of payment resolves this dispute in your favor.
- You may be eligible for a refund under certain conditions. Please consult our website pages for our Refund Policy: https://www.fosterparentcollege.com/info/refund.jsp
11. Suspension and Termination of Services
- Foster Parent College may also suspend providing the Services to you if we are investigating suspected misconduct by you. Foster Parent College will use commercially reasonable efforts to narrow the scope and duration of any limitation or suspension under this Section as is needed to resolve the issue that prompted such action.
12. Your Access and Use of Our Services
- The rights granted to you in these Terms are subject to the following restrictions: (i) you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Services; (ii) you shall not modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile, or reverse engineer any part of the Services; (iii) you shall not access the Services in order to build a similar or competitive Service; (iv) you shall not impersonate or attempt to impersonate the Company, a Company employee, another user, or any other person or entity, (v) you will not co-brand or frame the Website without the express prior written permission of an authorized representative of the Company; and (vi) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Services may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted, or transmitted in any form or by any means. Any future release, update, or other addition to functionality of the Services shall be subject to these Terms. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may store files that are automatically cached by your web browser for display enhancement purposes; and, you may download, print, and/or store handouts for your own educational use, either now or in the future.
- Furthermore, you agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper, deep link, or other similar automated data gathering or extraction tools, program, algorithm, or methodology to access, acquire, copy, or monitor our Services or any portion of our Services or for any other purpose, without our prior written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (i) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; (ii) copy, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, or publicly display any content (except for your personal information) from our Services without our prior written permission and the appropriate third party, as applicable; (iii) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of our Services or any activities conducted on our Services; (iv) bypass any robot exclusion headers or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to our Services, or (v) interfere or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, including by transmitting any worms, viruses, spyware, malware, or any other code of a destructive or disruptive nature.
- Except as expressly permitted in this Agreement, you shall not collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including account names, from our Services.
- Our Services may now, or in the future, have "publicly accessible areas" that allow users to post User Content (hereafter defined) that will be accessible by the user population or the public. As a user of the Services, you acknowledge and affirmatively agree that in the course of using the Services you may be exposed to User Content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate. You further agree that Foster Parent College shall not, under any circumstances, be liable in any way for any User Content.
- You shall not use any communication systems provided on our Services including, without limitation email, for any commercial or solicitation purposes. You shall not solicit for commercial purposes any users of our Services without our prior written permission.
- You understand and agree that you are solely responsible for compliance with any and all laws, rules, regulations, and Tax obligations that may apply to your purchases or use of the Services.
13. Intellectual Property Rights
- Our names, graphics, videos, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names are our trademarks or trade dress in the United States and/or other countries (collectively the "Proprietary Marks"), and are owned by Foster Parent College. You may not use the Proprietary Marks without our prior written permission.
- We make no proprietary claim to any third-party names, trademarks or service marks appearing on our Services. Any third-party names, trademarks, and service marks are property of their respective owners.
- The information, content, programs, tutorials, documentation, guides, descriptions, advice, data, software, and any other content viewable on, contained in, streamed to you or downloadable from our Services (collectively, "Our Content"), including, without limitation, all text, Interactive activity designs, charts, pictures, photographs, images, videos, audio files, line art, icons, and renditions, are copyrighted by, or otherwise licensed to us or Our Content suppliers.
- We also own a copyright of a collective work in the selection, coordination, arrangement, presentation, display and enhancement of Our Content (the "Collective Work").
- All software used on, or within our Services is our property or the property of our software vendors and is protected by United States and international copyright, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. Viewing, reading, printing, downloading, listening to, or otherwise using Our Content and/or the Collective Work does not entitle you to any ownership or intellectual property rights to Our Content, the Collective Work, or the Software.
- You are solely responsible for any damages resulting from your infringement of our, or any third-parties, intellectual property rights regarding the Trademarks, Our Content, the Collective Work, the Software and/or any other harm incurred by us, or our affiliates, as a, direct or indirect, result of your copying, distributing, redistributing, transmitting, publishing or using the same for purposes that are contrary to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
14. Proprietary RightsAs between Foster Parent College and you, Foster Parent College or its licensors own and reserve all right, title and interest in and to the Service and all hardware, software and other items used to provide the Service, other than the rights explicitly granted to you to use the Service in accordance with these Terms. No title to, or ownership of, any proprietary rights related to the Service is transferred to you pursuant to these Terms. All rights not explicitly granted to you are reserved by Foster Parent College.
15. Use of Our Content
- We grant you a limited license to access, print, download, view, stream or otherwise make personal use of Our Content and the Collective Work for your noncommercial personal use provided, however, that you shall not delete any proprietary notices or materials with regard to the foregoing.
- You may not modify Our Content or the Collective Work, or utilize them for any commercial purpose or any other public display, performance, sale or rental; nor may you decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble Our Content and the Collective Work, or transfer Our Content or the Collective Work to another person or entity.
16. Information Accuracy
- We attempt to ensure that information on this Service is complete, accurate and current. Despite our best efforts, the information on our Service may occasionally be inaccurate, incomplete, or out of date. We make no representation as to the completeness, accuracy, or currency of any information on the Service.
- Furthermore, information on the Service may contain typographical errors, inaccuracies, or omissions. We reserve the right to correct or make changes in such information without notice.
17. User Content Rights and Related Responsibilities; Your License to Foster Parent College
- "User Content" means, without limitation, any text, messages, reviews, comments, feedback, audio, video, digital files, images, photos, artwork, suggestions, hyperlinks, and documents, or any other content you upload, transmit, or otherwise make available to Foster Parent College and/or its users via the Services. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control the rights to your User Content and that each and every part thereof, is an original work by you, or you have obtained all rights, licenses, consents, and permissions necessary in order to use those parts at any and all times. You further agree to indemnify Foster Parent College and its affiliates for all claims arising from or in connection with any claims to any rights in your User Content, or any damages arising from our use of your User Content.
- By submitting User Content on or through the Service you grant to Foster Parent College a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, re-use, broadcast, stream, download, reproduce, transmit, print, publish, display, exhibit, distribute, re-distribute, copy, host, store, cache, archive, index, categorize, edit, alter, modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works based upon, and to publicly perform such User Content without attribution, and without the requirement of any permission from, or payment to, you or to any other person or entity, in any manner including, without limitation, for commercial, publicity, trade, promotional, or advertising purposes, and in any and all media now known or hereafter devised. You retain all rights in your Content, subject to the rights you granted to us, and to our users, in these Terms.
- In order for us to provide the Service to you, we require that you grant us certain rights with respect to User Content, including the ability to transmit, manipulate, process, store, and copy User Content. Your acceptance of this Agreement gives us the permission to do so and grants us any such rights necessary to provide the Service to you.
- You agree that any User Content you submit to our Service may be viewed or heard by other users, any person visiting or participating in the Service, and by the public in general.
- You are solely responsible for your User Content, including, without limitation, reviews, comments, and feedback, and any damages suffered by Foster Parent College resulting therefrom.
- Foster Parent College may block, remove, or return any User Content at any time in our sole discretion for any reason whatsoever, or for no reason at all. We are not responsible for the authenticity, accuracy, completeness, appropriateness, or legality of User Content.
- User Content is not considered to be confidential. You agree not to submit User Content in which you have any expectation of privacy or confidentiality.
- You may submit comments or ideas about the Services ("Ideas"). By submitting any Idea, you agree that your disclosure is gratuitous, unsolicited, and without restriction, and that we are free to use, and disclose, the Idea on a non-confidential basis or otherwise to anyone without any additional compensation to you.
- You agree not to upload or post as part of the Service any content that is false, offensive, inaccurate, incomplete, abusive, obscene, profane, threatening, intimidating, harassing, defamatory, racially or ethnically offensive, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inclusive of hate speech, violates the rights of any party, gives rise to liability, is politically oriented, contains corrupted data or any other harmful, disruptive, or destructive files or would constitute or encourage a criminal offense.
19. Electronic Communications
- Although we may choose to communicate with you by regular mail, we may also choose to communicate with you by electronic means including, without limitation, email, telephone, text, SMS, or by posting notices on our Services. When you use our Services, you consent to communicating with us electronically.
- You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. Additional charges from your telecommunication carrier may apply.
20. SecurityViolating the security of our Services is prohibited and may result in criminal and civil liability. Foster Parent College may investigate incidents involving such violations and may involve, and will cooperate with law enforcement if a criminal violation is suspected. Security violations include, without limitation, unauthorized access to or use of data or systems including any attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of the Service or to breach security or authentication measures, unauthorized monitoring of data or traffic, and interference with service to any user, host, or network.
21. Copyright and Intellectual Property PolicyWe respect the intellectual property rights of others. We reserve the right to remove any User Content on the Services which allegedly infringe upon another person's copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property right, and/or terminate, discontinue, suspend, and/or restrict the account or ability to visit and/or use the Services or remove, edit, or disable any User Content on the Services which allegedly infringe upon another person's intellectual property rights. We provide this policy pursuant to Section 512 of the Copyright Revision Act, as enacted through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA").
A valid complaint under the DMCA must provide the following information in writing:
- An electronic or physical signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
- Identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing and where it is located on the Service.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you, such as your address, telephone number, and, email address.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or law.
- A statement, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information is accurate, and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
Federal law provides that if you knowingly misrepresent that online material is infringing, you may be subject to criminal prosecution for perjury and civil penalties, including monetary damages, court costs, and attorneys' fees. The above information must be submitted to the Copyright Agent at: firstname.lastname@example.org
22. Disclaimers; No Warranties
- ALL SERVICES AND PRODUCTS AVAILABLE FROM FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE AND ITS PARENTS, SUBSIDIARIES, PARTNERS, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS, (COLLECTIVELY, THE "FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE PARTIES") DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (I) THE SERVICES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE USE OF OUR SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (II) THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, OR (III) THE QUALITY OF ANY SERVICES, PRODUCTS, OR INFORMATION PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU FROM OR THOUGH US WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS.
- THE SERVICES CAN INCLUDE TECHNICAL OR OTHER MISTAKES, INACCURACIES, OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS. FURTHERMORE, THE INFORMATION OR SERVICES ON THIS SITE MAY BE OUT OF DATE. WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO THE SERVICES AND INFORMATION ON THIS SITE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE, HOWEVER WE HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO DO SO.
- THE FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE PARTIES DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE THE SERVICE AVAILABLE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
- YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. IF YOU DOWNLOAD OR STREAM ANY CONTENT FROM THE SERVICE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK. YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR STREAMING OF ANY CONTENT THROUGH THE SERVICE.
- SOME STATES OR OTHER JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME PARTS OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
23. Limitation of Liability
- IN NO EVENT SHALL WE BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE TO YOU, OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY DAMAGES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY TO YOU OR OTHERS, OR LOSS OF PROFIT, REVENUE, OR BUSINESS, AS A DIRECT OR INDIRECT RESULT OF: (I) YOUR ACCESS AND USE OF OUR SERVICES; (II) YOUR ACCESS AND USE OF USER CONTENT SUBMITTED TO YOU, OR TO OUR SERVICES, BY OTHER USERS; (III) YOUR BREACH OR VIOLATION OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT; (IV) YOUR DELAY IN ACCESSING OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE OUR SERVICES FOR ANY REASON; (V) YOUR DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF ANY OF OUR CONTENT OR THE COLLECTIVE WORK FOR YOUR USE; OR (VI) YOUR RELIANCE UPON, OR USE OF, OUR CONTENT OR THE COLLECTIVE WORK, WHETHER RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTIOUS BEHAVIOR, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF WE AND/OR OUR SUPPLIERS HAD BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES.
- THIS LIMITATION SHALL ALSO APPLY WITH RESPECT TO DAMAGES INCURRED BY REASON OF OTHER SERVICES OR PRODUCTS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED IN OUR SERVICES OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED IN OUR SERVICES.
- WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL WE BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DELAY OR FAILURE IN PERFORMANCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ACTS OF NATURE, FORCES, OR CAUSES BEYOND THEIR REASONABLE CONTROL, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INTERNET FAILURES, COMPUTER EQUIPMENT FAILURES, TELECOMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT FAILURES, OTHER EQUIPMENT FAILURES, ELECTRICAL POWER FAILURES, STRIKES, LABOR DISPUTES, RIOTS, INSURRECTIONS, CIVIL DISTURBANCES, SHORTAGES OF LABOR OR MATERIALS, FIRES, FLOODS, STORMS, PANDEMICS, EXPLOSIONS, ACTS OF GOD, WAR, GOVERNMENTAL ACTIONS, ORDERS OF DOMESTIC OR FOREIGN COURTS OR TRIBUNALS, OR NON-PERFORMANCE OF THIRD PARTIES.
- IN NO EVENT WILL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE, AND OUR AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS, IN CONNECTION WITH OR UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR GROSS NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED $100 IN THE AGGREGATE FOR ALL CLAIMS.
- YOU AND WE AGREE THAT ANY CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO OUR SERVICES MUST COMMENCE WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES, OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
- CERTAIN STATE OR JURISDICTIONAL LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- You agree that you will be personally responsible for your use of the Service; and you further agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Foster Parent College and its officers, directors, employees, consultants, affiliates, subsidiaries, and agents from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ and accounting fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to, use of, or alleged use of, the Service or the products you purchase through the Service; (ii) your violation of these Terms of Service or any representation, warranty, or agreements referenced herein, or any applicable law or regulation; (iii) your infringement upon the property rights, intellectual property rights (copyrights and trademarks), or other rights of others; (iv) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation publicity, confidentiality, or privacy right; (v) any death, or serious physical or emotional harm, to you or any third party resulting from your use of the Services or products purchased though the Service.
- We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of such claim.
- By using the Services, you release, to the maximum extent allowed by law, Foster Parent College, its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, and agents from claims, demands, and damages of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of, or in any way connected with, your use of our Services or products purchased though the Service, including without limitation, any death or serious emotional or physical harm.
- If you are a California resident, you waive California Civil Code §1542, which says: "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his or her favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him or her must have materially affected his or her settlement with the debtor."
26. Interruption of Service
- Your access and use of our Services may be interrupted from time to time for any of several reasons, including, without limitation, the malfunction of equipment, periodic updating, maintenance or repair of our Services, or other actions that we, in our sole discretion, may elect to take.
- You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any interruption of the Services or any part thereof.
27. Governing LawThis Agreement, and any separate agreements whereby we provide you Services, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Oregon, without regard to its conflicts of laws principles. The parties hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the state and federal courts in the State of Oregon in and for the County in which Foster Parent College has established its principal office.
28. Our Remedies
- You acknowledge that we may be irreparably damaged if this Agreement is not specifically enforced, and damages at law would be an inadequate remedy. Therefore, in the event of a breach or threatened breach of any provision of this Agreement by you, we shall be entitled, in addition to all rights and remedies, to an injunction restraining such breach or threatened breach, without being required to show any actual damage or to post an injunction bond, and/or to a decree for specific performance of the provisions of this Agreement.
- For purposes of this Section, you agree that any action or proceeding with regard to such injunction restraining such breach or threatened breach shall be brought in the state courts of record or a United States District Court for the State of Oregon in and for the County in which Foster Parent College has established its principal office. You consent to the jurisdiction of such court and waive any objection to the venue of any such action or proceeding in such court.
29. Dispute ResolutionPLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY. THIS SECTION CONTAINS AN AGREEMENT TO ARBITRATE, WHICH WILL, WITH LIMITED EXCEPTION, REQUIRE YOU TO SUBMIT CLAIMS YOU HAVE AGAINST US TO BINDING AND FINAL ARBITRATION. THIS SECTION ALSO CONTAINS AN AGREEMENT THAT YOU WILL ONLY BE PERMITTED TO PURSUE CLAIMS AGAINST US ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING.
You and Foster Parent College agree that any claim or dispute at law or equity that has arisen, or may arise, between you and Foster Parent College (including any claim or dispute between you and a third-party agent of Foster Parent College) that relates in any way to or arises out of this or previous versions of this Agreement, your use of or access to the Services, the actions of Foster Parent College or its agents, or any products or services sold or purchased through the Services, will be resolved in accordance with the provisions set forth in this Dispute Resolution Section.
- Applicable Law. You agree that, except to the extent inconsistent with or preempted by federal law, the laws of the State of Oregon, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern this Agreement and any claim or dispute that has arisen or may arise between you and Foster Parent College, except as otherwise stated in this Agreement.
- Agreement to Arbitrate. This Dispute Resolution by Binding Arbitration section is referred to in these Terms as the "Arbitration Agreement." You agree that any and all disputes or claims that have arisen or may arise between you and Foster Parent College, whether arising out of or relating to these Terms of Service (including any alleged breach thereof), the Services, any advertising, any aspect of the relationship or transactions between us, shall be resolved exclusively through final and binding arbitration, rather than a court, in accordance with the terms of this Arbitration Agreement, except that you may assert individual claims in small claims court, if your claims qualify. You agree that, by entering into these Terms, you and Foster Parent College are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action. Your rights will be determined by a neutral arbitrator, not a judge or jury. If you reside in the U.S., the Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Arbitration Agreement.
- Prohibition of Class and Representative Actions and Non-Individualized Relief. YOU AND FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE AGREE THAT EACH OF US MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING. UNLESS BOTH YOU AND FOSTER PARENT COLLEGE AGREE OTHERWISE, THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN MORE THAN ONE PERSON'S OR PARTY'S CLAIMS AND MAY NOT OTHERWISE PRESIDE OVER ANY FORM OF A CONSOLIDATED, REPRESENTATIVE, OR CLASS PROCEEDING. ALSO, THE ARBITRATOR MAY AWARD RELIEF (INCLUDING MONETARY, INJUNCTIVE, AND DECLARATORY RELIEF) ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PROVIDE RELIEF NECESSITATED BY THAT PARTY'S INDIVIDUAL CLAIM(S).
- Pre-Arbitration Dispute Resolution. We at Foster Parent College believe that most customer concerns can be resolved quickly and to the customer's satisfaction by emailing customer support at email@example.com. If such efforts prove unsuccessful, a party who intends to seek arbitration must first send to the other, by certified mail, a written Notice of Dispute ("Notice"). The Notice to Foster Parent College should be sent to the address provided in the Contact Us section at the end of these Terms of Service ("Notice Address"). The Notice must (i) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute and (ii) set forth the specific relief sought. If Foster Parent College and you do not resolve the claim within sixty (60) calendar days after the Notice is received, you or Foster Parent College may commence an arbitration proceeding. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by Foster Parent College or you shall not be disclosed to the arbitrator during the arbitration proceeding.
- Arbitration Procedures. Arbitration will be conducted by a neutral arbitrator in accordance with the American Arbitration Association's ("AAA") rules and procedures, including the AAA's Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes (collectively, the "AAA Rules"), as modified by this Arbitration Agreement. For information on the AAA, please visit its website, http://www.adr.org. If there is any inconsistency between any term of the AAA Rules and any term of this Arbitration Agreement, the applicable terms of this Arbitration Agreement will control unless the arbitrator determines that the application of the inconsistent Arbitration Agreement terms would not result in a fundamentally fair arbitration. The arbitrator must also follow the provisions of these Terms of Service as a court would. All issues are for the arbitrator to decide, including, but not limited to, issues relating to the scope and enforceability of this Arbitration Agreement. Although arbitration proceedings are usually simpler and more streamlined than trials and other judicial proceedings, the arbitrator can award the same damages and relief on an individual basis that a court can award to an individual under the Terms of Service and applicable law. Decisions by the arbitrator are enforceable in court and may be overturned by a court only for very limited reasons. Unless Foster Parent College and you agree otherwise, any arbitration hearings will take place in a reasonably convenient location for both parties with due consideration of their ability to travel and other pertinent circumstances. If the parties are unable to agree on a location, the determination shall be made by AAA. If your claim is for USD $10,000 or less, Foster Parent College agrees that you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator, through a telephonic hearing, or by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules. If your claim exceeds USD $10,000, the right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator shall issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based. Payment of all filing, administration, and arbitrator fees (collectively, the "Arbitration Fees") will be governed by the AAA Rules, unless otherwise provided in this Arbitration Agreement. Any payment of attorneys' fees will be governed by the AAA Rules.
- Confidentiality. All aspects of the arbitration proceeding, and any ruling, decision, or award by the arbitrator, will be strictly confidential for the benefit of all parties.
- Severability. If a court or the arbitrator decides that any term or provision of this Arbitration Agreement (other than the subsection titled "Prohibition of Class and Representative Actions and Non-Individualized Relief" above) is invalid or unenforceable, the parties agree to replace such term or provision with a term or provision that is valid and enforceable and that comes closest to expressing the intention of the invalid or unenforceable term or provision, and this Arbitration Agreement shall be enforceable as so modified. If a court or the arbitrator decides that any of the provisions of the subsection above titled "Prohibition of Class and Representative Actions and Non-Individualized Relief" are invalid or unenforceable, then the entirety of this Arbitration Agreement shall be null and void. The remainder of the Terms of Service will continue to apply.
- Judicial Forum for Legal Disputes. Unless you and we agree otherwise, in the event that the Arbitration Agreement above is found not to apply to you or to a particular claim or dispute as a result of a decision by the arbitrator or a court order, you agree that any claim or dispute that has arisen or may arise between you and us must be resolved exclusively by a state or federal court located in the State of Oregon in and for the County in which Foster Parent College has established its principal office. You and we agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within the State of Oregon for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes. You also agree that: (i) our Services shall be deemed solely based in the State of Oregon; and (ii) our Services shall be deemed passive Services that do not give rise to personal jurisdiction over us and our assigns, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than the State of Oregon.
30. Law Enforcement
- Foster Parent College is committed to cooperating with law enforcement while respecting each individual’s right to privacy. If Foster Parent College receives a request for user account information from a government agency investigating criminal activity, we will review the request to be certain that it satisfies all legal requirements before releasing information to the requesting agency.
- Furthermore, under 18 U.S.C. §§ 2702(b)(8) and 2702(c)(4) (Voluntary Disclosure Of Customer Communications or Records), Foster Parent College may disclose user account information to law enforcement, without a subpoena, court order, or search warrant, in response to a valid emergency when we believe that doing so is necessary to prevent death or serious physical harm to someone. Foster Parent College will not release more information than it prudently believes is necessary to prevent harm in an emergency situation.